i love you!

i love you!
<3
^ Thats me! I'm a freshman. I'm taken. I love every sport possible. I play volleyball for RIC. I'm friendly & outgoing. My family and friends mean a lot to me. My AIM is greenexbean add me.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Talking Point # 1

Context/Premise:

poor,parents,children,people of color,unhealthy,lack of medical ,drugs,
treatment,violence,death,homeless,jobless,hunger


Argument:

Goldburg and Kozol argue that the environment children live and grow up in will affect their education. Children living in hunger, violent, disease stricken areas will not recieve the proper education.

Evidence:

Goldburg:
"There are a number of ways that the American education system has broken down over the years. Far too many of today's schools are violent and far too many are filled with kids who don't care much about learning."
The importance of an education is not seen in these children's eyes, nor is it being enforced.

Kozol:
"What is it like for children to grow up here? What do they think the world has done to them? Do they believe that they are being shunned or hidden by society? If so, do they think that they deserve this?"
It must be so difficult to grow up where they are. They probably think being poor is their fault. Children always find a way to make themselves responsible.

Kozol:
"With children having to deal with things like homicide, which is clearly beyond their maturity level, it is no wonder how that affects their emotional stability."
They have to grow up faster than they should.


Other Stuff:

I think Kozol went all out. He went to New York just to have evidence of what he was trying to tell his readers. He really caught my attention right off the bat when he said "only seven of 800 children do not qualify for free school lunches. Five of those seven, get reduced-price lunches." I knew the problem was bad, but i didn't think it was this bad.
Also, when Kozol is talking with Cliffie, the little boy tells a story about how he once witnessed a boy get shot in the head and die. The young boys next thought was about a cookie. It wasn't even a big deal to him, and that is scary.
The areas children are growing up in are both dangerous and unhealthy.

No comments: