i love you!

i love you!
<3
^ Thats me! I'm a freshman. I'm taken. I love every sport possible. I play volleyball for RIC. I'm friendly & outgoing. My family and friends mean a lot to me. My AIM is greenexbean add me.

Monday, March 17, 2008

In The Service Of What?

Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer

Context/ Premise:
-politics
-community service
-service learning
- schools&classrooms
-education
-support&effort
-giving&caring
-feelings

Argument:
Kahne and Westheimer argue that learning about and actually participating in community service should be brought into school systems for students to experience first hand. This could be as simple has not even coming in contact with the people, just a good changing feeling for the students. From hands on participating, students can take in more then just giving a helping hand.

Evidence:
"In addition to helping those they serve, such service learning activities seek to promite students' self-esteem, to develop higher-order thinking skills, to make use of multiple abilities, and to provide authentic learning experiences--- all goals of current curriciulum reform efforts."

"Service learning can advance other priorities, such as the acquisition of vocational skills."

"..both the motivation and joy that come from giving and the importance of altrusim."

"The most broadly supported goal for service learning activities is to convey to students the importance of charity."

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

Your notes here are brief... can you say more about the CHARITY vs. CHANGE issues that the authors' raise? Did our discussion in class help you make more sense of this?