i love you!

i love you!
<3
^ Thats me! I'm a freshman. I'm taken. I love every sport possible. I play volleyball for RIC. I'm friendly & outgoing. My family and friends mean a lot to me. My AIM is greenexbean add me.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Linda Christensen

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us
Context/Premise:

-media
-stereotype
-Disney
-influence
-racism
-young children
-hidden message


Argument:

Christensen argues that the media portrays bad stereotypes and that children are easily influenced by these characters leaving them with bad judgments.

Evidence:

“At the age of three, these children had a set of stereotypes in place.”

“Although these stories are supposed to merely entertain us, they constantly give us a secret education.”

“Many students don’t want to believe that they have been manipulated by children’s media or advertising. No one wants to admit that they’ve been “handled” by the media.”

“Many who watched cartoons before we start our study say they can no longer enjoy them. Now instead of seeing a bunch of ducks in clothes, they see the racism, sexism, and violence that swim under the surface of the stories.”


Other:

I really enjoyed reading this. I know a bunch of toddlers who love watching cartoons. I never realized they could get a negative message at such a young age.

4 comments:

kendra said...

HAHAHAHA at the end of this little clip there is a part of the movie Happy Feet..you should definetly take a look at it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbCfK9oX0is&feature=related

kendra said...

I liked the relation used in this clip between Disney and a common TV show.... girls take a look!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCUhlcXJLrI&feature=related

kendra said...

how do you send Dr. Bogad a post?

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

Say more Katlyn. I really want to see how you are making sense of all this...