i love you!

i love you!
<3
^ Thats me! I'm a freshman. I'm taken. I love every sport possible. I play volleyball for RIC. I'm friendly & outgoing. My family and friends mean a lot to me. My AIM is greenexbean add me.

Monday, April 7, 2008

Whites Swin in Racial Preferences

Context/Premise:
race
privilege
affirmative action
racial preferences
generation/history
fair/unfair
equal/unequal
whites vs blacks

Argument:
Wise argues that most privileged whites look at racial preferences as unfair due to the long history involving white power. Wise argues that "It has skewed our laws and shaped our public policy and helped create the glaring inequalities with which we still live."

Quotes:
Bush thinks that "school's policies were examples of unfair racial preferences."

"Privilege to us, is like water to the fish: invisible precisely because we cannot imagine life without it."

"..white preferece remains hidden because it is more subtle , more ingrained, and isn't called white preference, even if that's the effect."

"the privlege that allows one to not have to think about race on a daily basis; to not have one's intelligence questioned by best-selling books; to not have to worry about being viewed as a "out a place" when drving, shopping, buying a home, or for that mattter; attending the University of Michigan."

Other Stuff:
Before reading this, i was agreeing with Bush. I didn't see how it was fair to give people advancements because of the color of their skin but i wasn't looking at the whole picture and how whites were privleged because of their color. I was confused when i left class last week and now understand what the University of Michigan is doing, and support them. Whites have racial preferences that are not named that simply because we are white. The article really helped me understand what we were talking about in class!

No comments: